Monday, March 8, 2010

How to Add Individual Folders to the Windows 7 Taskbar



The Problem with "Pinning": When dragging a file folder onto the taskbar, Windows 7 doesn't leave that individual folder where you dragged it. Instead, it just adds it as a site in the Windows Explorer shortcut. If you want individual folders for quick and easy access, here's how...

STEP 1: CREATE A FOLDER
Open Windows Explorer and create a folder anywhere you want.  I called mine Example. 
STEP 2: ADD SOME LINKS OR SUBFOLDERS
Within Example, I've added the folders I want to have on my taskbar (called 123 and Pics as examples). If the folders you want to add to your taskbar already exist somewhere else, no problem - just add a shortcut by right-clicking > New > Shortcut and selecting the folder you want to add.

STEP 3: ADD YOUR FOLDER AS A "TOOLBAR"
Right-click anywhere on your taskbar (on the empty space) and you should see the following menu.  Click on Toolbars > New toolbar...

  • Navigate to the folder you created earlier and select it. 



STEP 4: CLEAN UP
There is some residual formatting work to be done.

  • Right-click on the taskbar and uncheck Lock the taskbar.  Now you should be able to give your toolbar more room by clicking on the little bumps next to the title and dragging it to the left. 



  • Right-click on your toolbar and uncheck Show title, which saves us some precious space. 


  • Right-click on your toolbar again and select View > Large Icons

AND YOUR DONE!  This leaves your taskbar a little taller than it used to be (primarily because we are keeping the option Show Text selected).  If you want to undo this whole process, simply right-click anywhere on the taskbar > go to Toolbars > uncheck the folder you just added.   Personally, I love having my most frequently accessed folders right at my fingertips.  Also, if later on I want to change which folders appear on my taskbar, all I have to do is change the shortcuts in my Example folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment